Monday, May 21, 2012

When You Have to Tell Them

Some of you have been there. It starts with the moment you learn something that you KNOW will adversely effect someone you care about. What do you do? Ignore it? If it is bad enough do you contact the "authorities"? Do you tell them knowing they'll probably hate you forever?


Back in late December I found out something that no one wants to find out about. It is hard to talk about this without naming names which means it is hard to write this without worrying people I know and care about. So let me qualify this post early on with saying that I did tell them. They know. So if I haven't talked to you about something earth shattering concerning your family (and that is glib compared to how serious this situation really is), then all is well with you and yours.

But not for one family I know.

So, yes, it took five months to tell this person the heart rending information that had fallen into my lap. I was determined to tell them right away, but things got in the way. Some news you have to tell in person. So how do you encourage someone to come visit without getting all alarmist about it? Well, that is what I tried to do at first. I made social invitations and such, but our schedules didn't line up. Then that big client I picked up totally took over my life. So time past.

Last week I saw this person online and was smacked with the reality of the situation all over again. I talked to my husband and he said I had to tell them. Period. So I had good intentions of sending out an email/personal message to get them over to our house... and forgot. Or put it off, more to the truth. Then the small bearer of the bad news in the first place reminded me yet again. But now things had changed a bit. The person I needed to tell was experiencing a sudden, extremely tough, personal family tragedy. How could I possibly tell them now?

My husband said it doesn't matter. The more time that was allowed to flow by, the worse the situation could get. I had to tell them.

So I sent the private message that said it was imperative we see them as soon as possible. And within the day they arrived at our house. I, with Brian as emotional support for us all, told this friend straight out. Ok, I may have prefaced it with, "You are going to hate me, but..."


No comments:

Post a Comment